1984 Alden 78' (23.77 m) Palmer Johnson 78
Somerset, Massachusetts, United States
High-performance shoal-draft bluewater cruiser. Continually upgraded, with recent electronics, hull and deck paint. 4SR/4 head layout with bright living spaces.
Flag of Registry: United States
- Aluminum Hull
- HIN/IMO: PAJ00191F484
|New dodger and bimini|
|New Victron inverter/charger|
|(4) New Dometic electric fresh water heads|
SIROCCO is an elegant, high-performance, long-range cruising ketch. Her centerboard configuration (7'-2" with board up, 14' with board down) permits access to ports not usually open to so large a vessel. Her 1200 gals. of fuel and 1400 gals. Of water gives her a ‘go-anywhere’ cruising range, and her Caterpillar diesel gives her a comfortable 10 kt cruising speed. She has been continually upgraded both cosmetically and mechanically, including new deck paint (2021), hull paint (2021) and Garmin touch-screen chart system with HD radar and wind instruments. She is ready to cruise the world’s oceans in comfort and speed. Seriously for sale.
Pier One Yacht Sales is pleased to assist you in the purchase of this vessel. This boat is centrally listed by Wellington Yacht Partners. It is offered as a convenience by this broker/dealer to its clients and is not intended to convey direct representation of a particular vessel
Official Number: 1053700
LOA: 78' (23.77 Meters)
Type: Sail- Used
Draft Max: 14'
Draft Min: 7' 2''
Cruise Speed: 10 Knots
Fuel Type: Diesel
Hull Material: Aluminum
Hull Finish: Awlgrip
Hull Shape: Monohull
Air Conditioning: Yes
Fuel Tank: 1200 Gallons (4542.49 Liters)
Fresh Water: 1400 Gallons (5299.57 Liters)
Holding Tank: 180 Gallons (681.37 Liters)
Ballast Weight: 30000 lbs
Designer: J.G. Alden
Builder: Palmer Johnson
Exterior Color: White
Photos click to view all
- Engine Make: Caterpillar
- Engine Model: 3208N
- Engine Type: Inboard
- Power HP: 210.00
- Fuel Type: Diesel
- Engine Location: Middle
- Generator Make: Northern Lights
- Generator KW: 20.00
In the bow is a large sail and gear locker, very well laid out and approx. 6' in length. Aft of this is a collision bulkhead. The OWNERS STATEROOM is in the forward part of the vessel, beautifully arranged, extremely light, airy and well ventilated. There is a centerline queen berth, extensive drawer storage and a small settee, linen storage locker and book storage. Aft to starboard is a cedar-lined hanging locker; further aft is a mirrored vanity with swing-out seating, drawer and hair dryer storage locker. The OWNER'S HEAD is to port, beautifully finished in cherry with Corian countertops, small bath tub and shower aft, stainless steel bidet, Mansfield electric head and teak grate.
Moving aft to the passageway, to starboard is a hanging locker and built-in shoe locker.
Continuing aft to starboard is a very comfortable GUEST STATEROOM. This cabin has a queen berth outboard, flanked by a four-drawer bureau inboard, and a built-in Panasonic TV forward, with bookshelves. There is a hanging locker, and excellent storage both above and underneath the berth. There is an adjoining head (electric), with stall shower and Corian counters. Bulkheads are Formica with cherry trim.
Opposite is the port side GUEST STATEROOM, light and airy with a Goiot hatch for ventilation. This stateroom has upper and lower double berths with storage behind. There is also drawer storage under. Aft of this stateroom is the adjoining head with stall shower. Proceeding out of the center line companionway, which can be separated by a door, there are two shallow steps up to the main saloon.
The interior of SIROCCO is finished in beautiful cherry wood, complimented and lightened by the use of matte white overheads, with solid teak and holly soles throughout. The saloon is generous, with light and ventilation provided by four large overhead hatches. There are L-shaped settees port and starboard, with the hi/lo extension dining table in the starboard settee. There is extensive storage both in lockers and drawers. There is a pilot berth behind the starboard settee. Behind the port settee is the TV and stereo. Aft of the port settee and outboard is the liquor storage, and there is a built-in bar aft in this area as well, complemented by excellent drawer storage. Next aft to starboard is the galley.
The GALLEY is open to the main saloon, and is U-shaped, facing forward. There is excellent counter space, fiddles, excellent storage, a top-loading refrigerator with front-door access and a top-loading freezer. The gimbaled stove is located outboard and can be hidden with cherrywood drop panels.
- Grunert 110v holding plate ref./freezer
- Luke four-burner propane stove w/oven & broiler
- Trash compactor
- Garbage disposal
- Microwave oven
- Hot water 60 Gals
- 20 gal Potable drinking water system
Adjacent to the galley on centerline is the passageway to the aft cockpit, with a watertight door
behind the companionway for access to the ENGINE ROOM. Adjacent to the companionway is a wet
Locker, and further outboard is access to an additional double STATEROOM with excellent storage and ventilation, which can also be used as a crew quarters.
Forward of this stateroom is a head, and forward of the head is the NAV CENTER.
Up the companionway is the large aft cockpit. There is a large cockpit table with centerline foot rest. The cockpit is protected by a dodger and a bimini that can be united. There is engine room access under the starboard seat.
On the foredeck the anchoring system is exceptional, with two large CQR anchors in chocks, the windlass further aft, and excellent deep storage lockers both port and starboard of the sail locker. There is a large lazarette aft.
- Closed circuit cameras in engine room and bilge. Displays at nav center and helm
- Robertson Dateline X instrument panel
- (2) 14" RCA TV/VCR combos
- Flat screen TVs (2008)
- Clock and barometer
- Robertson AP300 DLX autopilot
- Garmin 5212 touchscreen nav system with displays in nav ctr. and helm
- Insulated backstay antenna for SSB
- Cap'n Elec. Charting & Ship Mgmt.
- UFO TV antenna on mast (NEW 2021)
SAILS AND RIGGING
Ketch-rigged with manual Hood Sto’way main mast and Detroit Offshore Spars mizzen with manual in-mast furling. Headsail and staysail are fitted with Hood furlers.
- Mainsail (2005)
- 130% Genoa (2005)
- Storm sail (2002)
- Mizzen staysail
- (2) Lewmar #90 2-speed self-tailing elec. primaries w/upgraded gears
- (2) Lewmar #55 2-speed self-tailing elec. secondaries
- Lewmar #55 self-tailing main sheet
- Lewmar #46 self-tailing mizzen sheet and outhaul w/ Schaefer cam cleats
- (2) Lewmar #30 self-tailing travelers
- Lewmar #65 self-tailing outhaul winch
- Lewmar #55 3-speed staysail halyard, self-tailing
- Lewmar #48 3-speed staysail halyard, self-tailing
- Lewmar #48 3-speed genoa halyard winch
- Lewmar #30 self-tailing topping
- Single Caterpillar 3208 diesel engine, 210 HP
- Engine pyrometer
- Edson pedestal steering with Wagner hydraulic ram and Wagner rudder angle indicator
- Hundestadt propeller with electric pitch
- Navtec hydraulic centerboard lift
- Centerboard position gauge
- Rule engine room 2500 bilge pump @3,000 gal./hr.
- Jabsco clutch driven main engine bilge pump
- (2) Rule #3500 Float and Pumps electric bilge pumps
- Edson manual bilge pump
- (4) Dometic electric fresh water heads (NEW 2021)
- (2) Cruisair AC units, pump and motor
- Vibration free Aqua drive
- Bow thruster w/ custom foot pedals
- Oil change system with old/new oil holding tanks, 15 gal
- Fuel: 1200 gal
- Water: 1400 gal
- Grey water: 150 gal
- Black water: 180 gal w/ deck pump-out or overboard discharge
- 12/24/110/220 volt AC system
- Northern lights 20 kW generator w/Racor fuel filter
- Isolation transformer
- 220 volt 50 amp shore power
- Victron inverter/charger 24v to 110v AC (NEW 2021)
- 24-12 Converter sailing instruments
- (8) Workahalic 6v house batteries
- Engine battery 8D
- Lofrans 24v windlass
- Fresh water deck wash down
- Salt water deck wash down
- 6-man life raft
- Dodger and bimini (NEW 2021)
- Side curtains
- Cockpit cushions
- Foredeck cushion
- Teak cockpit table
- Teak cockpit grate
- 140 lb. CQR anchor, 300' of chain
- 120 lb. CQR 50' of chain, 300'of rode
- Side-mounted stainless swim ladder
The company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change or withdrawal without notice.