1985 Southern Ocean 80' (24.38 m) 80 KETCH
BELFAST, Maine, United States
This fast, bluewater Doug Peterson design was styled by Jon Bannenberg / Andrew Winch. She was built from the same mold as the Ocean 80’ but pulled out to 83’ with a reverse transom. Her original owner specified a performance cruiser with a high-end interior for long distance cruising in comfort
Flag of Registry: United States
Port of Registry: WILMINGTON, DE
- Fiberglass Hull
- HIN/IMO: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Pier One Yacht Sales is pleased to assist you in the purchase of this vessel. This boat is centrally listed by Northrop and Johnson. It is offered as a convenience by this broker/dealer to its clients and is not intended to convey direct representation of a particular vessel
Official Number: 1102384
LOA: 80' 0'' (24.38 Meters)
Type: Sail- Used
Beam: 20' 6''
Draft Max: 8' 6''
Crew Sleeps: 2
Cruise Speed: 8.5
Fuel Type: Diesel
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Photos click to view all
- Engine Make: KOHLER
- Power KW: 9.00
- Fuel Type: Diesel
- Hours: 6410.00
- Hours Date: 08-10-2021
TOO ELUSIVE is the ideal family cruiser for worldwide exploration. Designed by Doug Peterson and built by Southern Ocean Shipyards in England to Lloyds 100 A1 class, she has the strength to go anywhere and the ability to enjoy day sailing and racing. Her sisterships participated in the Around the World race.
For the past 12 years Too Elusive has been sailed during summer seasons only and kept in a heated shed when not sailing. Her owner has lavished her with care.
Winter of 2012-2013 winter saw an extensive refit at Front Street Shipyard in Maine. She was fully repainted in flag blue Awlgrip with several mechanical upgrades: steering system and rudder bearings renewed, aft cabin was given a makeover with new ceilings, headliners and veneers. The main salon also was rebuilt, including and replacing cabinetry and trim. The nav station was updated and new electronics were installed.
Spars were painted, much of her running rigging and some of her standing rigging was replaced and she was outfitted with new sails. TOO ELUSIVE’s ketch rig is versatile, easy to sail in all conditions and allows her to be handled by a small crew. Ketch rigs in this size range can be balanced to match all weather conditions. This is a safe, seaworthy, world cruiser, sea kindly in adverse conditions and a pleasure to sail.
TOO ELUSIVE’S unique raised saloon design makes it very easy to move from the interior to the cockpit, which enhances safety for children and pets to move from the inside to outside and vice versa.
Three staterooms plus crew: gracious owner’s suite is aft and private with oversized double berth to starboard, upholstered settee to port and abundant storage. Aft head is generous with large stall shower.
Main saloon provides seating for the entire ship’s company and is open to the galley, appropriate for family style dining and cruising.
Forward of the main saloon are two guest cabins, each with double berth, ensuite head and separate shower. Storage in each guest stateroom is appropriate for long-term cruising.
Crew accommodations include an over/under berth arrangement with private head and access to the forepeak bosun’s locker/work-space.
Fit and finish throughout is yacht style with varnished oak bulkheads and trim, whisper-wall ceilings and headliners, varnished teak soles and suitable light and ventilation.
• Stove/oven: Force 10 4 burner, replaced in 2014
• GE convection/ microwave oven replaced 2014
• Large refrigerator with holding plates, to top loading doors and one side loading door.
• Extra-large freezer with holding plates, four top loading doors.
• All plates and compressors new in 2014-Grunert/Dometic system.
• Gas BBQ, Magma-Catalina, all stainless steel, new 2020
ELECTRONICS AND NAVIGATIONAL
• 1 x Icom ICM604, in cockpit, new 2014
• 1 x Icom M59 at Nav desk
• 1 x Icom ICM 710 SSB, at Nav desk, new 2014
• Danforth Constellation 6” compass at helm
• Fluxgate compass, Simrad & C42N connected to Nav equipment 2013
• Radar, Furuno model 1835 75 mile with ARPA
• Radar, Garmin digital, 72-mile, model 24XHD 2014 at helm
• 10’ Garmin glass screen 8000, multi-function display, plotter/radar at helm-new 2014
• 1 12” Garmin 8000 series in cockpit, New 2014
• 1 15” Garmin 8000 series at nav station, New 2014
• B&G Multifunction Display model 8300
• B&G depth sounder with two heads
• B&G wind angle with wind speed, wind angle and magnified wind angle
• B&G wind speed
• Garmin AIS 600
• KVH Sat TV
• 240/220 v, 60 cycle
• 2 x 50-amp cord, split, one for air conditioner feed, one for main house service.
• Northern Lights 25 kw gen set with 8622.5 hours as of 8/10/2021, Installed 2012.
• Kohler 9 kw, 6410 hours 8/10/2021, will service all house systems but AC system.
• 2x Victron multi plus 24v/3000/701 inverter charger. New 2020
• 2 x Master volt charges 24/100 amp
• Auxiliary 24-volt alternator for house bank off main engine for house bank plus engine start alternator with Belmar controller
• Auxiliary 24-volt alternator for house bank off 25 kw gen set, plus engine start alternator with Belmar controller
• 16 x 6-volt AMG DC400-6 group: L16, 20 hr. rated: 415-amp hour “Fall River Batteries" new 2020. House bank has total of 1800 amp hours and will operate sailing system and basic house systems for over 4 days.
• Victron BMV 801 battery monitor
• Victron digital Multi control inverter/charger monitor new 2020
• 1 x Charles Boost transformer
• All major lighting replaced with LED in 2011
MECHANICAL AND PLUMBING
• Main engine hours, Aug 10, 2021: 7239.6, next major service 8000 hours, Valves check, fuel pump serviced.
• Oil changed every 200 hours
• Estimated fuel burn at 2400 rpm @ 8.5 knots 5 gal per hour, range at 8 knots estimate 1350 NM
• There is a spare main engine in working condition in storage.
• Sea Recovery 800 GPD
• 5 x heads, Head Hunter Royal Flush
• 5 x showers- all diverters replaced-
• 8 Marine Cruise Air AC/ Heat, with independent controls and heating- new 2013
• 2 x washer/dryers, front loading Splendide combi system
• Rule 24v light de-watering pumps in all major bilge spaces
• Engine driven bilge pump in all major bilge spaces
• Hot water tank, 40-gal, A. O. Smith electric, supplies galley and Master stateroom
• Hot water tank, 60-gal stainless custom tank with Ogden fast recovery heating element. Supplies guests and crew cabins.
• Sea water wash down on foredeck
• Fresh water hose bib on foredeck
• Fresh water hose bib on aft deck
• 2x Head Hunter 24-volt 3/4 hp Jet pumps model BA 36485330-9-56J, one pump supplies fresh water to house system one to head system. There is a cross over valve.
• Transfer pump for head tank to black water tank is Scott 24-volt 3/4 hp
• Macerator pump for direct overboard is Scott 24-volt 3/4 hp.
• The entire head system was installed by Head Hunter in 2000
• Mamba 10 steering pedestal, completely rebuilt 2020, mechanical steering to rudder, all components replace 2020
• 3 blade Max propeller, removed and rebuilt by Max propeller 2017
• Shaft Spurs on main shaft
• Niles component rack system studio quality sound.
• Every cabin and interior guest area has access to Niles system and has Sonance “Merlot” overhead speakers. The
• Cockpit has Bose waterproof speakers.
• Niles system consists of APC power controller
• Niles amplifier
• Anthem CMRX 520 receiver
• MSC 400 universal remote sensor
• WE entertainment system
• There are 2 x Sennheiser HDR 100 remote headphones
• TVs in all cabins, main saloon, and dining area
SAILS AND GEAR
• Mainsail, fully battened, Doyle Ocean Weave new 2013
• Mizzen sail, fully battened, Doyle Ocean Weave
• Genoa, 150 Doyle Ocean Weave, new 2007
• Genoa 110 Doyle Ocean Weave, New 2013
• Staysail, Doyle Ocean Weave
• Mizzen Staysail Doyle Ocean Weave with sock
• MP, Doyle Ocean Weave with sock
• Over the last 10 years the sails were sent to Doyle for inspection and cleaning every year, up to 2020
• Mast and boom are built by Proctor masts.
• All masts and booms repainted 2012
• Main and mizzen booms both have Lazy Jack systems with sail support on both booms, Lazy Jacks were new in 2012
• In addition to the sails listed above there are older useable “delivery sails” in storage
• Carbon fiber / Kevlar running backstays with Harken air blocks new 2016
• Harken Multipoint main sheet traveler new 2016
• Antal spinnaker pole control new 2016
• Reckmann headsail furler, new 2012
• Carbon fiber spinnaker pole new 2017
• Aluminum spinnaker pole
• All standing rigging inspected each year during prep for winter storage and any issues found corrected.
• One hydraulic Reckmann deck winch at main mast
• 2 x hydraulic Lewmar 88, 3 speed primaries aft, new 2007
• 1 x Lewmar 48, 2 speed main sheet winch in cockpit
• 4 x Lewmar 55, 2 speed running backstay and staysail sheet winches
• 2 x Navtec Hydraulic backstays, serviced 2017
• 1 x Navtec hydraulic boom vang
• Mizzen mast 2 x Lewmar 43
• Main mast 3 x Lewmar 55, 1 x Lewmar 65
• Large sailing dodger that covers front and sides of cockpit
• Awning that goes over boom and covers full cockpit
• Mainsail cover
• Mizzen cover
• Cockpit table cover
• Interior floor covers
• Interior table covers
• Teak cockpit
• Teak sidedecks
• Cockpit cushions
• Cockpit table
• Swimming ladder
• Double lifelines
• Bow and stern rails
• Stainless dorades
WINDLESS AND ANCHOR
• Lofrans-Titan Model B with two rope gypsies and one chain gypsy, completely rebuilt 2020
• Chain, 300’ of Acco 1/2”
• Anchor CQR 140 kg
• Folding aluminum Danforth style anchor in Lazarette with 150’ of 1” 3 strand rode
• Spare CQR with bent tip in storage
OTHER GEAR AND ITEMS
• Passerelle in storage
• Keel is steel with 14000 pounds of lead at bottom. Keel was fitted with steel shoe in 2013 to protect lead as the boat was hauled each winter. Steel plate of keel was audio gauged in 2018 and no wastage was found in any of the 8mm plate.
• Hull bottom completely stripped to remove built up bottom paint. Bottom resealed with Interlux epoxy, bottom faired and repainted with Pettit Hydra coat SE bottom paint. Same brand of bottom paint is on now.
• Hull topsides, fully sanded, repainted with Flag Blue Awlgrip and clear coated
• Master cabin and main saloon completely refit
• All new set of sails
• All new running rigging
• Main mast and mizzen mast repainted
• Hull and bottom repainted
• Steering system completely redone
• Engineered and installed new headsail foil, 2012/2013
• New Garmin electronics package installed at helm and nav station
• 1 x Life Raft, 6 person Viking purchased 2016, last service 2020
• 1 x Life raft, 8 person Viking purchase 2019
• EPIRB 406 ACR Cat 1 auto deployment, Model LRB-41
• MOB, serviced 2020, next service 2022
• Life sling
• Various life jackets
The name "TOO ELUSIVE" is reserved and non-transferable.
Engine and generator hours are as of the date of the original listing and are a representation of what the listing broker is told by the owner and/or actual reading of the engine hour meters. The broker cannot guarantee the true hours. It is the responsibility of the purchaser and/or his agent to verify engine hours, warranties implied or otherwise and major overhauls as well as all other representations noted on the listing brochure.
The company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change or withdrawal without notice.